The Hindemith Music Centre
July 4-14, 2023
Applications Open December, 2022
- $45 = Application Fee
- $1,600 = Full Tuition: Includes all festival activities
- $800 = Accommodation Fee for participants under 26 years old: Includes lodging of shared rooms and daily meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner). For this lower accommodation fee, participants must be under 26 upon arrival of the festival. (If a participant turns 26 during the festival, they are still eligible for this accommodation fee.)
- $1,250 = Accommodation Fee for participants 26 and over at time of festival: Includes lodging of shared rooms and daily meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner)
Not Covered In Tuition
Airfare, passport fees, transportation to/from the festival, activities/entertainment during scheduled free periods, phone charges, supplementary maid service or incidental hotel charges/damages, any meals/hotel/transport due to airline scheduling, train strike, delays, etc. The festival will not be held responsible for providing a taxi or other shuttle to any train stations or airport. Participants should purchase travel insurance, including travel medical insurance.
- $516 non-refundable tuition deposit due by April 1, 2023
- Remainder balance due as notified, prior to May 1, 2023
Accommodation at the Hindemith Music Centre is covered by the accommodation fee outlined above. There is a different accommodation fee structure for participants age 25 and younger (must be born after July 5, 1997), and participants 26+. Available evenings of July 4 – July 13 only (10 nights), departing on July 14th. Participants arriving before, or departing after these dates will need to make their own arrangements for additional accommodation. Participants who elect to arrange their own accommodation will not need to pay the accommodation fee. The festival assumes no responsibility for the arrangement of off-site accommodation.
Honing Your Craft
Practice facilities with pianos are available throughout the day and into early evening hours. Composers are encouraged to bring a laptop with music editing software. Each participant will receive a minimum of two private lessons and/or master classes during the festival.
The majority of participants are currently enrolled in a music degree program, through the PhD level. Recent PhD and DMA graduates are encouraged to attend. Typical age range is from 20 to 35, however participation is not limited to this age group.
All tuition deposits of $516 reserve an individual’s participation in the festival, and are non-refundable. A refund of the remainder tuition ($1,100)–not including the original $516 deposit–will be granted only if we are able to find a suitable replacement, per the following schedule: $800 max refund for withdrawal up to April 10; $500 refund for withdrawal April 11 to April 30. Withdrawals after May 1st will not be refunded any tuition. Forfeited deposit or tuition funds may be credited to attendance in a future edition/year of the festival. The festival will not be held liable for missed attendance/ participation due to delays or cancellation of travel.
Additional Application Materials
- ONE work of any instrumentation/length, for evaluation only. Email score (pdf) and midi or mp3 recording of the piece.
- live, unedited recordings of TWO solo contrasting works; any style/period. Submit recordings or links via email [mp3, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, etc).
- Video of two conducted performances; pieces should be of contrasting styles, and one must feature a modern-to-contemporary work. Links to video via YouTube, Vimeo, etc. are preferred.